OUR COMPANY HISTORY
With roots dating back to 1883, the RCM brand was established in 1948 as Richard Crittall Marine, manufacturing the ‘Stylojet’ diffuser range of products and was based in Great Portland Street, London.The additions of steel and aluminimum grilles necessitated a move to larger premises and in 1958 the company moved to Wembley, North London.
A renowned reputation for providing quality products and offering exceptional customer service has been the backbone of the business’ success over the years.
More images can be found on our Gallery Page.
By 1970 RCM was a leading supplier of grilles and diffusers to the rapidly expanding construction market and in 1973 was acquired by the Myson Group to compliment their range of ventilation equipment.
Moving production to Wolverton in North Bucks enabled further expansion of the product range. The Myson Group acquired by Vent Axia Industrial Division in 1991.
Previously part of the Scotswood Plc Group RCM was privately owned with all production in its new premises at Kiln Farm, Milton Keynes.
During this part of its life RCM was chosen by leading customers in various industries such as construction, naval, marine and aviation.
TIMELINE OF OUR HERITAGE
1883 - Business Founded
1911 - Private company incorporated to acquire business
1911 - Installed their patented system of panel warming incorporating fresh air ventilation in the Royal Liver Building in Liverpool
1946 - Company made public
1946 - Subsidiary companies:
- Air Ducts
- Crittall Kitchen Equipment Co
- Dulrae Manufacturing Co
- Grierson Magnetic Valve Co
1947 - Richard Crittall Mechanisations was formed - mechanical and consulting engineers
1947 - Factories at Brentford, Chiswick, Kensington, Stoke- on-Trent and Glasgow
1948 - Receiver appointed to manage the company
1949 - Reconstruction had been completed and new managers appointed. By the mid-1950s the company was profitable and expanding
1958 - Acquired Thomas McDowell, old established ventilation engineers
1960 - Acquired Maddock and Wright, heating and ventilation engineers of Leicester; was working with William Beardmore and Co to develop the Beardmore-Crittall radiant heating system for hospitals, schools, offices, etc.
1961 - Heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, electrical and marine engineers with works and branches throughout United Kingdom
1963 - Acquired Supervents, ventilation and air conditioning engineers and maker of fittings 1960s Acquired Z.D. Berry and Sons
1967 - Acquired Zest Equipment maker of fittings
1967 - Richard Crittall Holdings merged its subsidiaries Richard Crittall and Co and Z.D Berry and Sons, both of which were involved in engineering and contracting, into one unit called Richard Crittall and Z. D. Berry, in order to respond to the increase in size of contracts offered
1968 - Acquired by Crown House which formed a new subsidiary, Wheeler Crittall Berry for the contracting companies that were part of the group
1973 - Wheeler Crittall Berry was joined with Furse Installations to become Crown House Engineering
1973 - Acquired by the Myson Group to complement their range of ventilation equipment.
1991 - Myson Group acquired by Vent Axia Industrial Division in 1991.
1993 - Acquired by Eaton-Williams Group run as a division of Copperad
1994 - Operating as an independent company within the group
1996 - Now part of the Scotswood Industries plc group
2007 - Acquired by board of three directors
2014 - Acquired by Andrew Ward Baines and now being run as a private company. Mr. Baines worked at the company for some 17 years as the Production / Factory Manager prior to buying the company.